Finally back in the workshop! Decided to do some fragrance testing. I haven't done a post on my fragrance testing procedure before so I figured I'd tack one on to the top of my results.
Today's post will include: technique, and initial results. Intermediate results will be posted in a few days, and final results after a 4-6 week cure.
***I use this technique for both fragrance and colour testing (with colours I add 1/4 teaspoon of colour which I quickly disperse in ~1 teaspoon of batter before mixing it in with 150g of batter per bar).***
For these tests I use my 12 Bar Square Silicone Mold (Brambleberry). I set up a batch basket with 11 fragrance samples and 11 pipettes. I also set up 12 numbered cups with a plastic spoon in each. [Yes, I use disposable cups, spoons and pipettes. I recycle all of them!]
I use my basic recipe made with 1200g of oils, I do these tests with soap made at room temperature. I find that room temperature batter better displays signs of acceleration in these small 150g batches.
Everything set up for the pouring, mixing and molding!
I mix the batter to a light-medium trace, not emulsion. I find it easier to test for acceleration in a thicker batter with the small portions. I whip the fragrance in with a spoon which gives the fragrance less movement. I've found that the thicker initial trace better displays any sings of acceleration with spoon mixing.
I pour 150g of batter into each cup. One at a time I add 40 small drops of fragrance to a cup, mix it well for 1 minute then pour it into the mold. The twelfth/bar cup is reserved for an unscented control bar for discolouration comparison.
Once all 12 bars are poured I tap the mold down gently and use a chop stick to draw the associated number on the bar. I used stickers to label the bars initially but found they fell off or were damaged too easily. inscribing the bars simply works better.
1) Coconut (Brambleberry); no A, no D
2) Stud (Nature's Garden); slight A, no D
3) Green Tea and Willow (Aroma Haven, Rustic Escentuals); no A, no D
4) Fierce Male (Nature's Garden); slight A, no D
5) Black Currant Tea (Aroma Haven, Rustic Escentuals); no A, no D
6) Peach (Candle Science); no A, no D
7) Island Hibiscus (Candle Science); no A, no D
8) Coconut Lime Verbena (Candle Science); no A, no D
9) Island Coconut (Candle Science); no A, no D
10) Passionfruit and Guava (Candle Science); no A, no D
11) Lovespell (Candle Science); no A, no D